The SLEDGE/SLUDGE/SLUDG/SLADE family tree starting with my maternal grandmother…
1. Lillian Claudell SLEDGE b. 1917 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS to Ben SLEDGE and Lucy Maria BUCK (1) and d. 2013 in St. Louis, MO. She was never married to Sam Jones WILLIAMS Sr b. 1892 in Noxubee County, MS and d. 1979 in Chicago, Cook County, IL. Children from this union: Margaret Ruth SLEDGE b. 1950 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS and d. 2006 in St. Louis, MO. Children with Oliver BELL Sr: Mable Roy BELL, Edna Z. BELL, William Loyd “Cot” BELL, Oliver “Fat” BELL Jr, Carlene E. BELL. Lillian’s children with unknown fathers: Eunice Jean SLEDGE and Wade SLEDGE.
1a. Carlene E. BELL b. ? in Macon, Noxubee County, MS to Lillian Claudell SLEDGE and Oliver BELL Sr. Married to John GRAHAM (no children from this union). Carlene’s children by Willie B. PRICE: Katha/Kathy, Terra/Terry Lynn, Wanda. Mother of Willie B. PRICE: Lucinda UNKNOWN. Carlene’s children by Fuddie James CLAY: Greg, Toney. Father of Fuddie: Albert ANDERSON. Carlene’s children by Julius FOOTE: Edrick “Top Cat”. Carlene’s children by Johnny WHITE: Johnny “Tyrone” (2)
1b. Katha/Kathy PRICE b. ? in Macon, Noxubee County, MS to Carlene E BELL and Willie B PRICE. Katha’s children by Oscar Lee BOYD Jr: India. Parents of Oscar Lee: Oscar Lee BOYD Sr & Ivean MATTIX. Father of Oscar Lee Sr: JC BOYD. Katha’s children by Henry C Lockett Jr: Trico. Parents of Henry C. Jr: Henry C. Sr & Barbara Ann SMITH. (3)
2. Ben SLEDGE b. 1891 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS to Donham/Donam/Donum SLEDGE and Jemima/Mima (4) MOSELEY/DANTZLER (5) and d. 1934 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS. He was married to Lucy Maria BUCK b. 1888 in Noxubee County, MS to Nelson BUCK and Emma WASHINGTON and d. 1951 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS. Children besides Lillian Claudell: Minnie Bell, Betty, Lucy B “Mom”, Angeline/Angaline/Angie S “Aunt Lyle”, Everlena/Everlynia/Evalina and George W.
3. Donham/Donam/Donum SLEDGE b. 1854 in Noxubee County, MS to Lawrence SLEDGE and Ann EVANS and d. 1929 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS. He was married to Mima (2) MOSELEY b. 1862 to Prince MOSELEY and Matilda UNKNOWN in MS and d. 1950 in Macon, Noxubee County, MS. Children besides Ben: Sittie, Christopher, Matilda, Minnie b. 1885, Lawrence, Angeline/Angiline/Angie, Prince, Walter, Jessie/Jessey and Minnie b. 1908
4. Lawrence SLEDGE (6) b. 1812/1815 in ?, North Carolina to unknown parents and d. ? in ?. He was married to Ann EVANS b. 1822/1824 in ?, North Carolina to unknown parents and d. ? in ?. Children besides Donham: Stephen
1. Variation for Buck=Bucks
2-3. Information supplied by Cousin India with instructions to include on the blog
4. Other names used by Mima=Mimie/Mimey/ Jemima
5. Variations for Moseley=Mosley/Mosly. Mima and her parents were enumerated with the surname of DANTZLER on the 1870 Noxubee County, Mississippi census and by the 1880 census they had changed their surname to MOSELEY. They are listed on a 1865 Freedmen’s Bureau labor contract with John Lewis DANTZLER Jr who was most likely their slave owner.
6. Variations for Sledge=Sludge/Sludg/Slade. Donham and his parents were enumerated with the surname of SLADE on the 1870 Noxubee County, Mississippi census and by the 1880 census they had changed their surname to SLEDGE. Donham’s son, Walter, used the surname of SLADE on the 1917-1918 WWI draft registration card.
4 GENERATION FAMILY TREE CHART (click on the image to view it larger)